22.9.08
Random little parts of my week that remind I am not in America anymore
Friday night I was going to a friend’s house to hang out and I walked through a Ubahn station and at the exit there were a bunch of policemen and some people that looked like drug traders so I thought it was just a drug bust and I just kept walking. Then they started yelling at me in German and of course I had no idea what they were saying. Then I realized this must be one of the random monatkarten checks. After that all was good, but needless to say I was quiet scared for a little while, because I had no idea what was happening.
Church was good. We were an hour late because we couldn't find our map for the church and we couldn't look it up on the internet because the internet wasn't working and then we found it, but we forgot that the strassenbahn don't come as often on Sunday. We missed Relief Society. Sunday school was really good, I understood what was happening most of the time and even read some stuff for them. The teacher had some kind of nervous disorder so she couldn't talk very fast which was great. The guy in front of us gave us his card. He is like a ceo or something for probably the biggest bank in Austria. He was also the translator for the first counselor who is American and doesn’t know very much German.
The pic is Ruth and I on Sunday while we were waiting for the Strassenbahn. We each bought new scarfs and didn't know how to where them. It took me about fifteen minutes to figure out how to put it on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
There's at least three good ways to wear a scarf.
Buy a bunch of euros now. It's only gonna get more 'spensive.
Well, from my experience police are too lazy to run you down, so just keep walking if they're yelling at you and don't look at them. And if they do catch you, then just tell them you don't understand German unless you concentrate real hard. It worked everytime.
I like your scarf, your favorite color I noticed right off.
Mom
I agree that pretending not to speak German will go a long way with the Polizei and/or the verkehrleute
But, please - UPDATE your blog! one post a month is unacceptable. and please get rid of that word verification thing to leave a comment. C'mon - how many cyberbots are trying to leave you spam comments?
Post a Comment